1. Kuala Lumpur: The first day.

Saturday 15th March 6.30am. We arrived in KL after a trip that started In Tasmania 24 hours before. Friday was spent getting everything ready for departure at 8.15pm from Hobart.

A great on time trip to Melbourne by 9.30 and we found our way to international departures. As our flight to KL was not scheduled to leave till 1.30 Saturday morning we sat and looked at the forming queue and wondered (along with a few others) HOW could so many people and so much luggage fit onto one plane? We waited for the queue to reduce which took till almost midnight and after other long queues for passport, customs etc. found ourselves in the departure lounge. The Air Asia A330 was bursting at the seams and we missed out on our “Optiontown” upgrade to business class, but were upgraded to a ‘”Hot seat” (extra leg room by the exit door). Landing in KL after a great flight and putting watches back 3 hours to 6.30 KL time we boarded a “Sky-Bus’”and made it to KL Sentral. We never realised the airport was so far out, 70KLMS !!

Although we had a small meal on the plane the “worms were gnawing” and we opted for our first meal in KL…. Maccas !!

It was great but probably the last Maccas for a while. Found a taxi to our friend’s condo that they had very graciously lent us, a cold shower (27c at 6am) and a welcome afternoon sleep as we had not been able to sleep at all on the flights.

The Adventure had begun!!!!!

The first afternoon was kept busy getting SIM cards for Wi –Fi modem and phone. Coming from Tasmania with its very modest shopping complexes it was astounding to be confronted with The Mid Valley shopping centre, we know KL has millions of residents but we felt sure they were all at this enormous shopping centre.

Mid Valley Mall KL

Mid Valley Mall KL

Mid Valley Mall KL

The array of shops both standard and boutique along with the huge variety of food shops has to be seen to be believed. We were moved at the memorial set up for the lost Malaysian Airlines jet MH370, it was a terrible blow for them.

Eventually finding a SIM card service provider we achieved a successful internet hook up and we were able to get onto our web reporting again.

Evening, and still suffering from the events of the past 48 hours we just ambled down the road from our block of 1200 condos to a new food complex that is still establishing itself. Looking for traditional Malaysian street food we were sorely disappointed when all we found were some six or so restaurants in an emerging food centre. So.. we asked a couple if they served beer as our tongues were hanging out. With a negative response we lost interest (Muslim) but found a place called Nexo which had BEER on tap and huge array of top quality whiskeys. The Nexo at Bangsar South, 7 Jalan Kerinchi was newly opened and sparkling.  Unfortunately it was not traditional Malaysian but claimed an allegiance to Spanish cuisine. To tired to venture further we opted for a couple of Tiger beers served in very elegant tall glasses and some choices from the tapas and entrée menu.

Well we were absolutely delighted. Our choice of Fried octopus, sautéed mushrooms in garlic and oil, fried potatoes with an Aioli sauce and a spicy paprika dipping sauce were excellent. Tasty, inviting and delicious we just relaxed in the comfortable armchairs in the beautiful décor, washed down a couple more Tiger beers and gave our complements to manager Ruburn and Executive Chef Gary and headed home absolutely contented. So …. First night over.

Click here to go to: 2. Our home in Kuala Lumpur.

Kuala Lumpur

loading map - please wait...

Pantai Panorama: 3.109563, 101.661665
Mid ValleyMega Mall: 3.134011, 101.670570
Airport: 3.121319, 101.554871
: 3.129328, 101.739407

This entry was posted in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.